Before you can begin with your studies, you must first register for a specific degree programme. You are qualified to register for a degree programme if you have passed its entrance examination or qualification procedure. All programmes begin in the upcoming winter semester.

The application for registration (German: Antrag auf Immatrikulation) is a form which you need to submit by a certain deadline (Click here to download). You will be notified of the registration deadline in your letter of acceptance after passing the entrance examination. Additionally, you must submit a form confirming that you intend to accept the offer to study at the University.

Students enrolling in the School Music Teaching programme (German: Lehramt) are enrolled at both the University of Music Würzburg and the University of Würzburg, which are two separate higher education institutions. In this case, you will pay your registration fees to the University of Würzburg. Thus, you should register there first before registering with us. Once you have received a registration confirmation from the University as well as a student ID number (German: Matrikelnummer), you can then register at the University of Music.

You are not allowed to enroll in the same degree programme at several higher education institutions at the same time.

What documents do I need to submit?

You must register for your degree at our office in person. If you are not able to come in person, you may legally empower a person to come in your stead (Article 14 BayVwVfG). Our office is located in the Department of Academic Affairs at the University of Music Würzburg. Underage applicants (who have not yet turned 18) must come with a parent or legal guardian.

Please bring the following documents with you:

  • Letter of acceptance to the University of Music Würzburg
  • Valid government-issued ID or passport
  • Proof of qualification for the intended degree programme in original or in a notarised copy; documents in a foreign language must be submitted along with an officially certified translation (English or German).
  • Proof of public health insurance or the exemption from the health insurance requirements for students pursuant to the Student Health Insurance Reporting Ordinance (SKV-MV).
  • Proof of the timely payment of the registration fee (cf. Letter of Acceptance)
  • If you previously attended a higher education institution in the Federal Republic of Germany: proof of disenrolment (German: Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung) including the reason for leaving.
  • Proof that you fulfill all the requirements to register (cf. Letter of Acceptance)
  • Proof of all examinations taken as part of a post-secondary degree programme (original or officially certified copy); documents in a foreign language must be submitted along with an officially certified translation (English or German).
  • Papers documenting anything that could prevent you from enrolling pursuant to Article 46 BayHSchG or §6 of the Statues on Registration at the University of Music Würzburg.
  • A written statement explaining whether and in which degree programme you failed to pass a required examination. Please also let us know whether and in which degree programme you were disenrolled because you failed to qualify for a required examination.
  • If you apply to register at several institutions or for several degrees at once, please let us know and submit any relevant documentation.

German language proficiency test certificate

This test certificate is mandatory for all foreign students whose first language is not German. Minimum required level of language proficiency by degree:

  • Bachelor of Music (performance)
    Level B2 of the CEFR
  • Bachelor of Music (performance and pedagogy)
    Level C1 of the CEFR
  • Master of Music (performance)
    Level B1 of the CEFR
    exception: Master Vocal Correpetition requires Level B2 of the CEFR
  • Master of Music in Performance and Pedagogy in Advanced Education | Master of Music in Theory and Composition
    Level C1 of the CEFR
  • Meisterklasse
    Level B1 of the CEFR
  • Pre-College:
     the last school report card (German: Schulzeugnis) of a German-speaking school with at least the grade of 4 (sufficient) in the subject German, alternatively a language certificate at the level of a comparable Bachelor's degree programme.  

Applicants can also enrol at the HfM Würzburg if

  • they have passed a language course of at most one level below the required level and have already enrolled for a language course of at least the required level, or
  • if they are enrolled in a seamless, multi-level language course and have not yet taken the final test.

You qualify for an exemption from the language requirement if

  • You graduated from a German-speaking school in a German-speaking European nation or have passed a German Abitur test at a German school overseas;
  • You are a foreign exchange student, e.g. ERASMUS+;
  • You are applying for the Meisterklasse programme and have already studied at least two years at an institution in German-speaking Europe.

What do I get after registering?

  • Student ID
  • Username and password for the Campus Management System and MyCampus
  • a student e-mail address, which is important for communicating within the University

The registration procedure is thoroughly documented in the Statutes on Registration, Re-Enrolment, Leave of Absence and Disenrolment at the Würzburg University of Music  (abbr. ImmaS).

Translation notice

This text was translated from German. In the case of any inconsistencies, only the German text is legally binding.